Telecasters, signed on air as Channel 10 in Sacramento, California.
In 1959, KBET was purchased by the Corinthian Broadcasting Corporation. Soon thereafter, Corinthian changed the call letters of the station to KXTV, the "X" in the name representing the roman numeral "10." The station was sold again in 1971, this time to Dun and Bradstreet, Inc. Twelve years later, in 1983, Dun and Bradstreet's television interests (including KXTV) were acquired by the A.H. Belo Corporation. In 1999, ownership of KXTV10 passed to its current owners, the Gannett Company
From its inception until 1968, KXTV telecast from studios on 7th Avenue in South Sacramento. The site of the former studios now lies beneath Interstate 5. KXTV moved to its present location, 400 Broadway in downtown Sacramento, when an expanding staff necessitated larger quarters. Since 1968, KXTV has continued to grow. The station recently purchased an adjacent building, which was joined to the existing structure. KXTV now occupies nearly an entire city block, and is Sacramento's largest broadcast facility.
On March 6, 1995, Channel 10 passed another milestone. After more than 40 years of carrying CBS programming, KXTV switched network affiliations to ABC.
In November of 1999, KXTV became one of the first Sacramento stations to initiate digital broadcasting services, including a high definition television (HDTV) signal.
In January of 2001, KXTV adopted News10 as an overall brand name. The brand symbolizes the pride the station takes in its news efforts and speaks to the overall dedication of the staff and management to presenting timely, accurate and thorough information.
Currently, News10 continues to expand its staff, improve the news product, aggressively promote the station, and reach out to the community. The staff and management of News10 look forward to a bright future as we enter the 21st Century.