State tests: 31 pct of Calif. kids physically fit | News
LOS ANGELES (AP) - State fitness tests administered to California's school-age children shows fewer than a third of tested students were in good physical shape.
The state Department of Education said Thursday that the 2012 Physical Fitness Test found 31 percent of 1.3 million fifth, seventh and ninth graders passed all six fitness measures. That percentage is about the same as 2011.
It also rated nearly 30 percent of children as having high health risks due to body fat.
Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson says the results reveal a tremendous public health challenge.
Kids were assessed for aerobic capacity, abdominal, trunk, and upper body strength, body composition and flexibility.
About 25 percent of fifth-graders passed all six tests, 32 percent of seventh-graders and 37 percent of ninth-graders.
Upcoming Events near Rancho Cordova / Rosemont / Gold River
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Recipe: Quinoa, Egg & Veggie Breakfast Bites (and a Breakfast Challenge!)
- Dining News: Aji Japanese Bistro in El Dorado Hills 'Still Finding Its Voice'
- UPDATE: 4th of July Lake Tahoe fireworks show will continue
- Complete list of school closures for Tuesday, April 1, 2014
- Calif. snowpack survey forebodes tough summer