Leaner Healthier Teen Revolution™ Help Shed Light on Solutions to Childhood Obesity At Event Sept 27 | Community
To Honor National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, Leaner Healthier Teen (LHT) Revolution™ Hosts Free Screenings and Panel Discussions of HBO’s
“THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION: “Children in Crisis!” Documentary
National Teen & Tween Weight Loss Program to Help Shed Light on Solutions to Childhood Obesity during Special Event at Three Stages in Folsom on Sept. 27, 7:00 p.m.
In honor of September being National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, Leaner Healthier Teen (LHT) Revolution, the fastest growing healthy nutrition education weight loss programs in the U.S., announced today that they will host a free screening of HBO’s “THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION: “Children in Crisis!” documentary at a special event at Three Stages in Folsom, Calif. On Sept. 27 from 7:00-9:00 p.m. LHT Revolution is based in the Sacramento area and has licensees in several cities across the U.S., who will be hosting similar events. To RSVP for this no-cost event and learn about local resources to help families get educated about helping their children live a leaner longer healthier life, please register for this limited seating engagement. The first 150 people to register will receive a FREE gift bag at the event worth an estimated $95 in gifts - Please register early at: http://lhtrevolutionweightofthenation.eventbrite.com.
Childhood obesity is reaching epidemic proportions in the U.S.
· According to the 2007-2008 NHANES (National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey), obesity now affects 17% of all children and adolescents in the United States - triple the rate from just one generation ago. America’s obese children are at an alarmingly heightened risk for elevated blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, heart disease and becoming obese adults.
· The (CDC) states that 1-3 children born in the year 2000 will develop some form of diabetes in their lifetime and that this generation may be the first to not outlive their parents, because of obesity
· According to the Journal of Pediatrics overweight adolescents are more likely than normal-weight children to be victims and perpetrators of bullying and low self-esteem. In addition, obese children rated their quality of life, as low as a young cancer patients’ because of teasing and weight-related health problems?
· According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), obesity among children aged 6 to 11 years increased from 6.5% in 1980 to 19.6% in 2008. Among adolescents aged 12 to 19 years, obesity increased from 5.0% to 18.1%.” We have a national crisis on our hands!
“This pandemic has got to stop, or we face the cost of obesity related disease and illnesses reaching an estimated $190.2 billion, soon to surpass smoking,” explained LHT Revolution founder and author, Cynthia Besson. “Left unchecked, obesity’s effects on health, health care costs, and our productivity as a nation could cripple us.”
With the loss of funding for programs like Physical Education in schools, children are left with less opportunity to learn not only about why it’s important to eat a balanced diet and be active, but how to eat healthy and exercise. Families need resources like LHT Revolution they can join locally to receive support, guidance and education.
September is National Childhood Obesity Month and Leaner Healthier Teen Revolution (LHT) is stepping up to help fight the childhood obesity epidemic both locally and nationally. With multiple locations across the country, LHT is one of the fastest growing teen and tween, healthy nutrition education weight loss programs in the U.S. As the centerpiece of their official program and book launch, LHT Revolution is hosting a free screening and panel discussion of the HBO documentary, “THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION”, focusing on one of the documentaries four part series, “Children in Crisis!”
HBO’s “WEIGHT OF THE NATION” series brings together the nation’s leading research institutions, including the Institute of Medicine (IOM), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH), in partnership with the Michael & Susan Dell and Kaiser Permanente Foundations to discuss the nation’s obesity epidemic and the potential solutions we can all take on a personal, national and community level.
THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION campaign is a four-part documentary series, each featuring case studies and interviews with our nation’s leading experts, in addition to individuals and their families struggling with obesity. LHT’s screening of the film will be followed by a moderated panel consisting of Sacramento’s leading authorities on the topic of weight loss, health, both adult and child health and obesity prevention. The panel will be moderated by “Good Day Sacramento's” Tina Macuha, who is also a facilitator for Lisa Nichols’ MOTIVATING THE TEEN SPIRIT ™. Panel members include advocates from the Fresh Food, Athletics, Educational, and Medical Profession industries. Founder and author of LHT Revolution, Cynthia Besson, will also be a panelist.
This FREE community event will take place on Sept. 27 at 7:00 p.m. at the prestigious Three Stages Theatre at Folsom Lake College, a $50 million facility dedicated to the performing and visual arts. Sponsorships are still available (starting at just $500) and all proceeds go to the LHT’s nonprofit, Leaner Healthier Teen Revolution, to fund scholarships for teens in need to attend the LHT program. Registration for the event is required via Eventbrite at http://lhtrevolutionweightofthenation.eventbrite.com or www.threestages.net.
About Leaner Healthier Teen (LHT) Revolution
Leaner Healthier Teen (LHT) Revolution is the fastest growing teen and tween, healthy nutrition education weight loss program in the U.S. Originally founded in 2006, the LHT program has been a tremendous success, as demonstrated by graduates who have kept their weight off for several years. The program aims to teach youth on their terms, by offering a fully integrated system including interactive lifestyle classes, the LHT book, website, and social media. LHT Revolution’s nonprofit raises funds to offer scholarships for children in need to attend a program in their hometown.
Upcoming Events near Rancho Cordova / Rosemont / Gold River
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Search teams looking for missing Folsom man on American River
- Woman's remains found along highway in El Dorado County
- Officials investigate fatal El Dorado County plane crash
- Fatal plane crash in Placerville leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- CHP: 5 injured, driver arrested for DUI in head-on crash with school bus